Consider this a quick primer as to what you can legally do as an employer:
1. It is legal to refuse to hire a felon.
2. It is legal to refuse to let you bring a representative into your disciplinary meeting( as long as it is a non-union shop).
3. It is legal to close your business.
4. It is legal to change your corporate employment handbook as many times as you want.
5. It is legal to impose a punishment of less than termination on a perpetrator of harassment.
6. It is legal to fire an employee if that employee works unauthorized overtime.
7. It is legal to tell employees why we don't like labor unions.
8. It is legal to replace an employee who is out on a leave of absence( as long as the leave isn't FMLA-protected).
9. It is legal to refuse to hire someone who won't sign a non-compete agreement and
10. It is legal to oppose a claim for unemployment.
These are some things a company can do without breaking the law.