The Katz Law Group has nearly 40 years of experience representing clients in the real estate field and has extensive knowledge of the state and federal laws that govern the industry. Our clients are owners, developers, lenders, investors, commercial landlords, and other real estate professionals and entities. Real estate encompasses a breadth of legal issues that are both extensive and cross-over into other practice areas. We have organized our real estate practice into three primary areas:
- Real estate litigation
- Commercial Landlord-Tenant Law
Real Estate Law
The real estate industry is always evolving and developing. At the Katz Law Group, we stay connected to the industry and informed of all new laws and cases that may affect our clients' situation. We have a wealth of expertise and accumulated knowledge to handle a broad array of issues that confront this industry.
Our real estate practice pursues our clients' legal interests through the following services:
- Litigation of real estate disputes
- Mediation or arbitration
- Prosecution and defense of a breach of contract, including a breach by a builder
- Comprehensive guidance and representation of commercial evictions through a summary process
- Prosecution and defense of fraud claims in real estate transactions
- Prosecution and defense of a purchase and sale agreement disputes
Our focus on real estate litigation is strategic: By laying the groundwork for a strong case in court, we help our clients obtain a better resolution in negotiations outside the courtroom.
Commercial Landlord-Tenant Disputes
There are few disputes that can be as stressful as a problem between a landlord and a commercial tenant. From the commercial tenant's perspective, these disputes threaten a business's premises, continued operations, and reputation. From the landlord's perspective, the commercial tenant's conduct can threaten the landlord's income and even imperil their property.
At the Katz Law Group, we are dedicated to tailored guidance and strong advocacy to meet the needs of our clients. We take a strategic and cost-effective approach to represent clients who are either a commercial landlord or a commercial tenant.
Some of the cases we handle include:
- Breach of contract claims
- Breach of warranty of habitability disputes
- Holdover and nonpayment proceedings
- Commercial evictions through summary proceedings
- Hazardous storage claims
- Rent overcharge, nonpayment disputes, and commercial evictions for not paying rent
- Enforcing rental agreements
- Landlord rights
- Leasing property to competitors
- Leasing disputes, including disputes involving commercial leases and breaking commercial leases
Having experience representing both commercial landlords and tenants is to our advantage. With a thorough analysis of the facts and a knowledgeable application of the law, we can anticipate how either party may argue their case and craft our legal strategy around these informed assumptions. This process gives us room to be more creative and tactical with our negotiations and, if required, trial preparations.
Commercial landlord-tenant disputes and litigation can both be avoided with an effective leasing negotiation. Whether you are a landlord or a commercial tenant, the terms of the lease will dictate your future by setting your rights and your responsibilities. Especially in the commercial setting, these negotiations can get very complicated, very quickly, with mistakes or oversights easily costing tens of thousands of dollars.
The Katz Law Group can help you negotiate a lease that protects your interests over the long term. They can also ensure that clients are fully informed about the potential risks they are facing in the lease. Our attorneys can help flag and avoid potential problems like:
- Federal, state, and local taxes – both obligations and benefits
- Construction allowances
- Tenant improvement obligations
- Environmental responsibilities
- Hazardous waste issues
- Lease assignment and subletting rights
- Common area responsibilities
- Obligations under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Massachusetts Real Estate Attorneys
If you are a commercial landlord or a commercial tenant involved in a landlord-tenant dispute we know what it takes to protect your rights and interests when a dispute arises. Contact the Katz Law Group today at 508-480-8202 for a consultation. We help clients throughout Massachusetts, as well as Middlesex and Norfolk Counties, including the cities of Worcester, Marlborough, Framingham.